Sunday 11 January 2009

11 Jan




Unfortunately, yesterday I had to admit that I really was sick :( We didn't make it to Artisanal, but went for the nearer Wild Ginger instead. The spicy soup was just what I needed, but by the time the main course arrived, I was pretty gone, and couldn't eat it at all. They boxed it up for us, and we went home and watched the only DVD in the apartment, 'Serendipity'. If you haven't seen it, I beg you not to. Possibly the worst 'rom-com' ever. It's only saving grace was being set in NYC so that we could point out the bits we recognised.

Woke up at about 5am with no voice at all, feeling really rough. We decided to just have a day at home to try and rest as much as possible, which was probably for the best. Had to have a small expedition this morning in order to pick up some DVDs (Grey's Anatomy Season 4), and treats in the form of cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery. Once we were outside, I felt ok enough for us to go and have brunch in Deborah's, which was absolutely delicious. James was very excited to try grits (a sort of gloopy corn starch) and buttermilk biscuits (scones) for the first time, along with his breakfast of spicy scrambled eggs and fennel sausage. I had the shirred eggs, which came in a giant bowl with mashed potato, cheese, spring onions, bacon and salad. Plus a spicy apple cider which really hit the spot.

The woman who served us in Magnolia Bakery took pity on my lack of voice when we were choosing our cakes, and made me tea and gave me a cough drop. Very sweet. Speaking of sweet, the cupcakes are pretty damn good. My favourite so far is the red velvet one with the vanilla frosting, although James preferred the vanilla with chocolate frosting.

James has gone out to pick up some wine and beer for our evening watching the 2 hour season premiere of 24 (and maybe a little of the Golden Globe awards). Definitely feeling looked after. Hopefully tomorrow, our NYC adventures can recommence!

No comments:

Post a Comment